Eric Yoffie and Isi Leibler onShalom TV Interview (L'Chayim,moderated by Rabbi Mark S. Golub )
Published on May 19, 2014
Leading Jewish columnists Isi Leibler (Jerusalem Post) and Eric Yoffie (Haaretz) sit to discuss the decision of the Presidents Conference to deny membership to J Street; Ari Shavit's book My Promised Land; and, the current state of the peace process in Israel. With Mark S. Golub on LChayim.
@Eric Yoffie J Street did not oppose BDS at the 3 colleges I am involved with, Give me explicit examples or withdraw your claims, Many of your statements about J St funding are untrue. Much comes from US and foreign Islamic sources.
BRINGING ORGANIZATIONS WHICH DISPLAY CONSTANT HOSTILITY TO ISRAEL INTO A MAINSTREAM UMBRELLA BODY COMMITTED TO PROMOTING ISRAEL WOULD NOT WIDEN THE JEWISH TENT. IT WOULD DESTROY IT.
One of J Street’s principal objectives is to undermine AIPAC by falsely labeling it an “extreme right wing organization”, even accusing it of generating anti-Semitism by its “one-sided support for Israel,” which creates hostile feelings that American Jews harbor dual loyalties.
J Street describes itself as “pro-peace pro-Israel”. In reality, it is actively campaigning to encourage the US government to exert greater pressure on the democratically elected government of Israel. To cite a few examples of J Street’s bizarre “pro-Israel” initiatives:
• 1. During Operation Cast Lead, J Street described Israel’s action as an “escalation” that was “counterproductive” and “disproportionate”. It ascribed moral equivalency to both sides, finding difficulty in distinguishing “between who is right and who is wrong” and “picking a side”.
• 2. Despite its self-designated “pro-Israel” tag, J Street actively canvasses for and raises millions of dollars to fund anti-Israeli Congressional candidates.
• 3. J Street claims to oppose Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, but invites pro BDS groups to promote their case at its conferences.
• 4. A cofounder of J Street, Daniel Levy, is on record describing Israel’s creation as “an act that went wrong”.
• 5 J Street collaborated with the biased UN Goldstone Committee which accused Israel of engaging in war crimes. It even facilitated meetings on Capitol Hill for Goldstone to promote his now discredited report.
• 6. For a long time, J Street totally opposed any sanctions being applied against Iran. It now lobbies against promoting the threat of military action.
• 7. J Street described the behavior of IDF commandos on the Mavi Marmara Gaza flotilla ship as “cruel brutality”.
• 8. J Street encourages its campus extension to promote discredited anti-Israeli groups like “Breaking the Silence” which promote lies about alleged IDF war crimes.
• 9. Until it was exposed, J Street leader, Jeremy Ben Ami, lied repeatedly to conceal that George Soros, the anti-Israeli financier, was and still represents one of the principal funders of J Street. There are also other donors with questionable political interests.